1. Persistence - In life, there are going to be ups and downs and the sport of bodybuilding is no different. Having a never give up attitude is crucial. I think that persistence and patience go hand in hand in order to be the best you can be.
2. Vision - Have a clear plan of where you want to go in the sport. Then work on steps on how to get you there. Start to visualize your end result. Visualize winning or achieving your goal at night before you sleep and when you wake up in the morning.
3. Belief - This point is very important to achieving great success in this sport. I have seen many amazing athletes just come and go because they did not believe in themselves. Believe you can do it and believe that you are good enough.
4. Focus - Focus on where you want to go in the sport. What are the things you need to do in order to be a champion?
5. Discipline - I cannot enforce enough how important discipline is. You cannot let any other distractions get in your way. If your friends are going out for a night on the town and you have to train the next day then this is where you discipline comes in. Should you go out? Probably not because you have big goals! Having the discipline to do the same things everyday is so important to be a champion bodybuilder. Find out what other champions have done to be the best they can be. All of them will tell you that they had to sacrifice a lot and have tremendous discipline in order to be the best.
6. Support - A support group is very important to succeed as a champion. You have to be around positive people all the time to achieve your goals. If you hang out with negative people then you become very negative. Be around successful people, people who have won titles and continue to be great ambassadors for the sport of bodybuilding. Another thing I have learned that is so important in this sport is having a very positive and understanding significant other. This person can be a key weapon to your arsenal in order to be a champion.
This game is all about duration and longevity. Get out of your head that you want it all now because you must be patient. Try to enjoy the journey and do not be hard on yourself when things do not go the way you want them to (like not placing well at a show). Learn from your disappointments and come up with a better plan next time.
Troy Tuff Enuff Brown :)